Skip to main content

2017: Let a New Year of Baking Begin

Review of 2016


Berries and cream celebration cake for New Year's Day, 2017
Last year was a bonanza year for baking. I made a total of fifty different baked items, including a berries and cream celebration cake on New Year's Eve for a special lunch on New Year's Day. This total was achieved because of the baking competition I entered in July, a fund-raising coffee morning I co-hosted in November, and various other occasions during the year. Some items didn't work out well or didn't taste as good as I'd anticipated, while others were ambrosia!

Here's the big list for 2016:

Ale fruit loaf17-Jan2016
Broccoli & Gruyere tart23 Jan2016
Fig and apricot scones30-Jan2016
Marbled peanut butter brownies3-Feb2016
Cup cakes3-Feb2016
Spicy biscuits13-Feb2016
Lemony cookies13-Feb2016
Blondies18-Feb2016
Apple crumble cake18-Feb2016
Vintage cheddar & walnut scones18 Feb16
Morning muffins3 Mar16
Pistachio & white chocolate shortbread4-Mar2016
Rocky road muffins10 Mar16
Sticky pear & ginger cake16-Mar2016
Raspberry Bakewell tart9-Apr2016
Pea, ham & cheese muffins30 Apr16
Wholewheat scones26-May2016
Norfolk scone26-May2016
Rhubarb & orange cake28-May2016
Iced rosemary cake29-May2016
Norfolk County asparagus torte29-May2016
Traditional scones (fruit, cheese and chive)1-Jun2016
Coconut jam slice1-Jun2016
Blueberry, lavender and & honey cake25-Jun2016
Raisin and orange scones15-Jul2016
Tea brack15-Jul2016
Apple tart15-Jul2016
Shortbread15-Jul2016
Deep American fudge cake15-Jul2016
Gingerbread15-Jul2016
Blueberry scones24-Jul2016
Mushroom tart (with bacon)10 Aug 2016
Coffee, cardamon & walnut cake13-Aug2016
Rapeseed oil. lemon & blackberry cake10 Sept 2016
Rocky road crunch bars15 Sep 2016
Farmhouse biscuits24 Sep 2016
Carrot & pineapple cake1-Oct2016
Jammy coconut tarts2-Oct2016
Rich chocolate cake with lemon and orange2-Oct2016
Carrot cake15-Oct2016
Fruited buttermilk cake22-Oct2016
Molasses, prune & walnut teabread28-Oct2016
Amaretti plum cake29-Oct2016
Rippled date & banana loaf29-Oct2016
Christmas morning muffins12-Dec2016
Ginger chocolate chip cookies12-Dec2016
Festival cake18-Dec2016
Bitter chocolate and kirsch cherry tortes23-Dec2016
Crusty lemon bake23-Dec2016
Berries and cream celebration cake31 Dec 2016

I've highlighted the items which were particularly well received or that I especially enjoyed. The downside of tasty baking is the calories. Fortunately, my work colleagues are happy to help me share that load. 

Just in case you're wondering, I also made eight new soups. I haven't forgotten the original raison d'etre for this blog. 

Plans for 2017

This year I want to overcome my fear of baking with yeast. I also want to continue working my way through the Norfolk Cookbook. For Christmas I acquired two new baking recipe books: Scandikitchen Fika & Hygge by Bronte Aurell and The Cardamon Trail by Chetna Makan, so expect some spicy reports. 

Wishing my audience (however small) contentment in 2017. 

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave