Skip to main content

Carrot Soup with Coconut and Lemongrass

Carrot Soup with Coconut and Lemongrass


"It's a soup day!" I thought to myself yesterday as the spouse got ready to go out shopping. "I'll run downstairs, choose a soup and give Dinks a list of ingredients."
Too late! He'd already left the house. I cast an eye over our cookery books, considered Keith Floyd's Floyd on Fish briefly but then chose The Soup Book. "A summer vegetable soup, I think," I said to myself. The book practically opened itself at this carrot soup recipe. We had onions, garlic, garlic, ginger, coconut milk and other ingredients. I rang the spouse and ordered carrots, lemongrass, red Thai curry paste and kaffir lime leaves. The latter wasn't available at our usual shop so I strolled down to Young Stephen's, not really expecting him to have them in stock. There he was, too absorbed in singing along to Return to Sender to pay me any attention so I checked myself what was available on the herb and spice rack. Aha! Kaffir lime leaves. I was very pleased at not having to trek down the road to the next village as, at the spouse's suggestion, we had spent the latter part of the morning walking down the South Bull Wall in the lovely sunshine.

Back in the kitchen that afternoon I prepared my ingredients, peeling, slicing, chopping and grating as necessary. Then I had a break. Just before 5 o'clock I started cooking. I fried the onion, added in the chopped ginger, garlic and lemongrass, after which I dropped in the carrots and curry paste and poured in the stock. When the carrots were tender, I spooned in the coconut milk and whizzed the mixture in the liquidiser. A quick re-heat and I was ready to dish up the soup. We sat and tasted. It was delicious. "Complex," said the spouse. The younger offspring had a second helping. Need I say more.


Bee Bop

Busy at the South Bull Wall
On Sunday 14th April the spouse and I watched a documentary about the Africanised honey bee. We hadn't expected to enjoy it and my finger hovered over the "change" button on the TV remote control. We stuck with it and enjoyed it. We felt informed.

In the last couple of days I have read something about how late bumblebees are appearing. I was surprised. My first sighting of a bee this year occurred on the 6th April. I had brought the younger offspring down to the Dodder to help out with a clean-up. The clean-up had been postponed a fortnight earlier due to prolonged rain. We hauled ourselves down to the meeting point and were provided with a long-handled "grabber", compostable refuse sacks and gloves. A few days later I spotted a bee (a large one which I presumed was a queen) trodden into the footpath.

I occasionally dip into my new collection of Sylvia Plath's poems. Most recently I read The Swarm and some notes on it. So what? Well, I'm not good at analysing poetry so can't put into words why some poems intrigue me. What I am sure of, however, is that The Swarm  is not about bees!

That's it for now.

Minnie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave