Skip to main content
Double Delight

This weekend Minnie's kitchen has been a hive of activity. I've made two soups: cotriade (a Breton fish soup) and French onion soup. The recipe for the cotriade is by Marie-Pierre Moine and I made it for the family dinner yesterday. It contains potatoes, onions, light fish stock, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, and mixed fish (the spouse bought a mixture of salmon, haddock, smoked haddock and cod). It was quite simple to make but, as usual, took longer than stated in The Soup Book. The onions are softened, then the stock, potatoes and herbs are added. The fish is put in later when the potatoes are almost cooked. While the fish is cooking, you prepare a dressing to spread on thick slices of country bread. The dressing (oil, Dijon mustard, seasoning, vinegar and parsley) is spread on the the bread and placed in the soupbowls. The soup is then ladled on to the bread. The three older members of the family really enjoyed it, with the bigger offspring saying he'd eat it again.
Bread with dressing before the cotriade is poured in.

Cotriade
French onion soup
The second soup was made for a lunch party the spouse and I hosted earlier today. There were nine of us at the table, including MH, "Ruby", "Vic", and our various offspring. I doubled the quantities of the ingredients (onions, red wine, beef stock, etc) and so it took even longer than I had anticipated. I willingly got out my food processor this morning to avoid any tears - well, thinly slicing three pounds of onions is bound to be upsetting.

To finish French onion soup, once you've ladled it into your bowls, you usually top it with a croute,  which in turn is topped with grated Gruyere or Emmental cheese. The whole lot is placed under a hot grill so that the cheese melts over the croute. There wouldn't have been room for me to do nine bowls, so I put the cheese-topped croutes on the grillpan and toasted them before arranging them in the ladled out soup. For soup with fairly simple ingredients, it's certainly impressive.The spouse had his usual success roasting lamb and making gravy but I think my two desserts stole the show!

Blueberry and praline cream tart
Honey-Dipped Points

 MH kindly brought me an article from the French newspaper, Le Monde, published on the 8th July: "Le miel de Paris, une production en hausee." My French is very rusty so I hope am I correct in saying the article is about how bees are faring better in cities than in the countryside due to the lower rate of pesticide use. The Union Nationale d'Apiculture Francaise (UNAF) has launched a programme concerned with placing hives in cities and towns in order to save beekeeping in the country.
Raspberry and hazelnut meringue

In yesterday's Irish Times there was an item on an anthology of poems called The Bee-Loud Glade (a line from W B Yeats' poem The Lake Isle of Innisfree) published by an Irish poetry press.

Now, it's been a long day and a busy weekend, so I'll sign off. Oh, one final thing (and nothing to do with soup, bees or honey). If you want to eat cheaply and well in Dublin, take a look at this blog - Eat for a Fiver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave