Skip to main content

German Chicken Broth

German Chicken Broth

According to the introductory lines in The Soup Book, this recipe is "based on a Thuringian vegetable soup" and "requires a good-quality, well-flavoured chicken stock, so make your own for best results." The last batch of chicken stock made in this house had pork chop bones added to it, so that's the stock I've used. The other ingredients are green beans, carrots, kohlrabi and mangetout or sugar snap peas: the finished broth is garnished with cream and finely chopped chervil.

Kohlrabi is also known as German turnip (rassica oleracea L. Gongylodes group). Of course, when I'm not looking for them, I see them in the shops but on the day when I want to buy some, I can't find them. So I substituted ordinary (white) turnips. They might even be just what I wanted. I bought them at the green grocer's cum garden centre (tiny) cum bistro (more below). The broth is cooked. The recipe is very simple: once the stock is heated up you add the various vegetables every five minutes, starting with the beans, followed by the carrots and kohlrabi, and finishing with the mangetout. We'have it for lunch tomorrow. It's a little bland but maybe the addition of cream will give it a bit of a kick.

P.S. (Added Sunday 30th May) We had the German chicken broth for our lunch today. All enjoyed it although the older offspring said he would have liked actual chicken in it. The broth definitely improved from standing overnight and the addition of cream helped too.
Was it an omen for the Eurovision Song Contest that I chose to make something with the word "German" in the title? Is Germany now the only country that can afford to host the song contest next year?


Lavender's blue, dilly dilly

While at the local green grocer's I also bought a couple of Primula vialli for the back garden. Last weekend when the weather was glorious the spouse bought me two lavender plants (lavandula stoechas or French lavender) and some white nemesia and blue campanula. I have a lavandula Madrid, which is looking very pretty this year. It survived the prolonged cold, unlike the other plants we bought last year (kangaroo paw, delphiniums, etc). And the plants bought last year replaced those crushed when our old garden wall was knocked down to clear the way for a new fence. This year my plan was to have mainly purple and white flowers, but I bought a couple of bright pink geraniums at a parish fete last weekend, so my scheme has gone awry. I was planning to buy a couple of rose trees and standard fuchsia but haven't got around to that task yet. It's not easy to track them down. I wonder if they'll have them at Bloom in the Phoenix Park next weekend.

Lavender is one of those plants that attracts bees, and in the good weather we had all last week I saw a few in the garden. They also hovered around the chive flowers.



I have just been trying to find a link to a nice version of the song "Lavender's Blue (Dilly, Dilly)" to the tune that I know and without any chatty introduction, but no luck. So here's a link to a film of lavender fields in Provence, France. - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jn47IWPt3s&feature=related



Faffing with muffins

Last weekend I baked a selection of muffins for the parish fete: banana and raisin, banana and pecan, pecan and maple, and cinnamon blueberry. Since finishing the soup I have cooked a chicken curry for tonight's dinner and another batch of pecan and maple muffins for home consumption. Mmmm! They smell delicious. I'd better finish now as the younger offspring is waiting for me go into the living room to watch the Eurovision Song Contest with him. The things we do for the love of our children!


Bee Nesters


During the week, an advertisement in the Irish Times Readers Offers supplement caught my eye - it was for ceramic bee nesters or skeps. According to the text in the advert, skeps were "originally made from straw or wicker," and the one on offer "is a modern interpretation of a centuries old design conceived to provide an attractive and functioning wildlife item suitable for any modern garden. Beautiful in its appearance, it can help provide a safe and dry nesting site for these beneficial garden pollinators." I thought to myself, "Could I put one in my back garden? What's involved? How much space do I need" So of course I had to find out more.

In the course of my internet search I came across this website - Martin A Newton Skep Beehives. What caught my interest were the photographs of the skeps he had made and the story of how he became involved in making skeps. There are also links with intriguing titles like Running a honey show and Make your own 16th century beekeeper's clothes! From this site I moved on to the website of the Natural Beekeeping Trust, where I came across lines from Virgil's Georgics (see blogs of 16th January and 2nd April):

Some say that unto Bees a share is given
Of the Divine Intelligence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave